Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Year's Greetings and a Look Back on 2019!

January 1, 2020
“The air was soft, the stars so fine, the promise of every cobbled alley so great, that I thought I was in a dream.” --Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

Dear Friends & Family,
As we approach the end of a decade and look toward 2020, I’m grateful for the people who have loved and encouraged me throughout my life. As we mature, we realize we didn’t get here on our own. So I reflect on the sacrifice of my parents Frank & Ruth, the unending encouragement of my godparents Betty & Herb, the never-ending love of my great aunt Loretta and her daughter Rhea, my grandmothers Mayme & Mary, my grad school mentor Hubert, and many, many others. Many, if not all, these people are gone—on the other side of the divide, and I hope to see them someday, or at least collide with their souls😊
Stephen & I knocking one down in Budapest, June 2019.
So I’ll keep my letter brief. I feel like I have received a host of blessings in 2019. I had the opportunity to travel for 3 weeks to Berlin, Prague & Budapest in the spring with my running friend Stephen. He kept me on my toes whether riding bikes in Berlin or climbing the hills on the Buda side of Budapest, where we took full advantage of the popular, communal baths that the whole city soaks in. We also had the pleasure of staying & touring with my friend Vera in Prague where we celebrated another birthday of mine! Where do the years go?
In May I travelled to New York to attend the law school graduation of my cousin Kevin. His brother & sisters, nieces & nephews, his wife Jane, friends from near and far came to spread our love and support. We had a family dinner at a favorite old Italian restaurant in the East Village where the Kennedys (JFK & Bobby, et al) used to hang out. Some of us toured Brooklyn, others attended the Broadway musical “The Prom.” It was glorious to be there together!
Celebrating Cousin Kevin's graduation
from law school with family in NYC,  May 2019
After a 6-month temporary position at U.W. Medicine ended this spring, I was offered a permanent staff position as Administrative Assistant in the Department of Psychiatry in a unit called the Center for the Study of Health & Risk Behavior. Our scientific staff focuses their research on binge drinking among fraternities, substance use among young people, PTSD and sexual assault, to name a few. The staff has embraced me, and I feel like my work here is very relevant, onboarding new staff, overseeing the website and social media, and coordinating a variety of volunteer committees established after our staff retreat this fall. Plus my schedule is flexible so if I have a commercial audition I can arrange my work time to accommodate any acting gigs during the day.

Speaking of acting, I continued to move forward with my goals to learn and grow as an actor. In March I was cast as a loony doctor in “The Salem Witch Orgasms,” winner of the Battle of the Bards playwriting contest and a world premiere production exploring female empowerment & sexuality. In October I performed in a UW School of Drama production called “Ada and the Engine,” about real-life inventor Charles Babbage and his stormy, heart-breaking relationship with mathematician Ada Lovelace. The story and the character inspired me to stretch my chops, and build more confidence, and I feel better prepared to take on major roles thanks to this one. 
Dr. Giles in "The Salem Witch
Orgasms," world premiere play,
March 2019.

Finally, in November I joined my friend Jenny for a whirlwind trip to China. When we signed up earlier in the year, I had no idea where I’d be, but work gave me their blessing. We headed off to Beijing then Shanghai and surrounding areas. This booming country is crowded with people and cars. We climbed a portion of the Great Wall, meandered through the Forbidden City, and sailed on a moonlit cruise along the Bund in Shanghai. 8 days for $299 plus taxes, gratuities & the cost of a Visa. I have a greater awareness of and appreciation for Asian culture and influences having taken this trip!

Jenny & me in Beijing under a ginkgo tree,
Olympic Village, November 2019




Here’s hoping you are sitting warm in front of a twinkling Christmas tree, a glowing menorah, or a crackling fire while reading this letter. Merry Everything, as my neighbor Yvonne called out to me the other morning!
Season’s Greetings and Love,

Jack

2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed our trip together to Europe this year, as it opened my eyes to so many new things, and instilled within me an interest in future travels and the experiences they represent!

    ReplyDelete