Thursday, September 8, 2011

September Reflections

“Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” 
 Jack Kerouac, On the Road

First Blog Entry Re-posted from Sept 11, 2011

Summer finally has arrived in Seattle, except in the traditional calendar we're heading toward Fall. No matter, I'll take the eighty degree temperatures, thank you. It's nothing short of blissful for me, an outdoor enthusiast, to continue swimming in Lake Washington and running on Capitol Hill with the sun warming my face and back. Soon enough the weather will change, but for this moment I'm enjoying every single ray of light.

This moment. I guess that's why I've decided to follow the advice of my friend Sandeep and begin this blog with a focus on the here and now. As a kid, and then an impatient teenager, I remember dreaming about my future and how it would look. I was in such a hurry to get there. Would I be married by 25? (No, I'm gay, but same-sex marriage might be possible by 50). Would I make a lot of money? (No, I'm currently in search of a day job, but grateful for unemployment benefits). Would I be a writer and get published? (Yes, and yes; I've written monthly columns for both the Capitol Hill Times and the LGBT periodical 'mo magazine. Now I'm working on my first book--a memoir about coming of age in Cleveland during the late 1970's when posters of Farrah Fawcett-Majors in her red, clinging bathing suit decorated every teenage boy's closet door and disco ruled the top of the music charts.


Jack on Laughing Buddha, Vancouver, B.C., August 2011


In coming posts I'll be exploring my chosen home, Seattle, reflecting on the city, its foibles, its fanaticisms, its funkiness, and its fabulousness. I also hope to touch on themes I examined when writing previous columns for the newspaper and magazine. Reflections on family, identity, living as a gay man in the early twenty first century, and spiritual growth.

As we approach the anniversary of 9/11 and the attacks on the Twin Towers in New York City, much has changed in our country and in our lives. We are less free in many ways to do as we please. The financial crisis of 2008 has constricted many of us in terms of our livelihoods and how we view success. I'd like to explore the glimmers of hope that still abound in my community. And redefine, or at least examine, what makes a life truly successful.

I hope you'll join me for the adventure as I start a new journey in the blogosphere. I'd appreciate your readership. And if you care to add a comment, I encourage it! One of the greatest compliments I received writing for the Capitol Hill Times and 'mo occurred when people would stop me on the street and say, "Hey, I read your column. Sometimes I agree with you, sometimes I don't." We'd then have a conversation. I felt connected.

One promise I'll make right now--I'll do my best to stay honest with you--my audience--and with myself. Let's begin the journey!

5 comments:

  1. Jack! your writing is compelling and thought provoking. What a great start. I wish you the best of luck as you begin your blogging journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Jack! What I really like about this post in particular is the positive and uplifting tone in it! Helps us all appreciate life a little more. Plus you are a phenomenal writer with interesting insight to share! I am so excited to keep reading your blogs and your book as well! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack! Hello again. I love the way you write. You have such a talent with the pen. I will be following you for now on! Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your thoughts. You have a lovely way of turning a phrase! I wish you so much luck and love on this journey...and I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel I know you quite a bit more. .. bravo!

    ReplyDelete